Peter Schmaus, M.D.
"My philosophy is to restore and optimize function. After an accurate diagnosis, most orthopedic problems can be treated conservatively and non-surgically with a realistic and effective plan that includes exercise, physical therapy, and attention to posture and body mechanics."
Dr. Schmaus is a leading physical medicine and rehabilitation physician. With over three decades of experience and additional board-certification in pain management, he specializes in the non-surgical treatment of orthopedic problems, including neck, back, shoulder, knee, hip, and elbow pain as well as herniated discs and spinal stenosis. He conservatively treats tendonitis, rotator cuf, and meniscus tears, and sports injuries. He performs multiple types of injections, using ultrasound as necessary, as well as electro-diagnostic testing.
A strong advocate for team-based care, Dr Schmaus works closely with physical therapists and chiropractors. He incorporates Yoga, Pilates, and Tai Chi in his exercise-based approach and has also worked with practitioners who specialize in the Alexander, Chek, and Feldenkrais techniques. This conservative approach usually helps patients avoid surgery, but when surgery is necessary, he works with highly skilled surgeons to ensure patients have the best outcomes.
EDUCATION AND FELLOWSHIPS
• Medical School: Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York
• Residency: Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
• Chief Resident: Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
• Board-certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
• Board-certified in Pain Management
Dr Schmaus is a well-known speaker on the topics of ergonomics, spine injury prevention, and repetitive strain injury, and he has consulted for several large corporations. As an avid traveler, scuba diver, and snow skier, he has authored several articles about pre-season conditioning, snow sports, and scuba injuries. He is also a senior attending at Hackensack University Medical Center.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• Top Doctor, Castle Connolly: Perennial Recipient
• Top Doctor, Vitals: Perennial Recipient
• Top Doctor, Healthgrades: Perennial Recipient
• 25 Year Attending Award, Hackensack University Medical Center: 2015
• Hackensack University Medical Center
• Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation
• American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
• American College of Sports Medicine
• New Jersey and Bergen County Medical Societies
• North American Spine Society
• Spine Intervention Society
• Press member North American Sports Journalists Association
Dr. Schmaus has served as an expert source and writer for Senior Skiing and New York Lifestyles Magazine.
Ask An Expert: Knee Replacement, Senior Skiing
Snow's Coming, Time to Get in Shape Now, New York Lifestyles Magazine
Guardians of the Mountains, New York Lifestyles Magazine
Focus on Conditioning: Still Time for This Season, Senior Skiing
Get Your Body Ready for the Season, Resident Magazine
Roy D.Vingan, M.D.View More
Patrick A.Roth, M.D.View More
George J.Kaptain, M.D.View More
Daniel E. Walzman, M.D.View More
Hooman Azmi, M.D.View More
Harshpal Singh, M.D.View More
Kangmin Daniel Lee, M.D.View More
Reza J. Karimi, M.D.View More
Mohammed Faraz Khan, M.D.View More
Tim Vogel, M.D.View More
Bruce Zablow, M.D.View More
Robert Goodman, M.D.View More
Giorgio Rotoli, D.O.View More
Elana Clar, M.D.View More
Peter Schmaus, M.D.View More
Brandon Gaynor, M.D.View More
Paul S. Chirichella, M.D.View More
Elizabeth Finale, M.P.T.View More